|No records available.|
ANTONIO O. AGUINILLO
Committee: CULTURAL AND SPORTS/BAC CHAIRMAN
Brief History of the Barangay
An official name of our barrio is OLAG from which is name derived from the word Olag meaning destroyed. They called it Olag, Because during the typhoon “Ogis” all the nipa huts were totally blown down or destroyed. So from that time they called “OLAG”.
Barrio Olag was founded in 1880 by an old man Lucio Alcanso. He registered the barrio in the municipality as Olag. The early inhabitants of this place were Calicano Maria Sumalde, Torebio Abiog and Pedro Abiog.
During the Pre-Spanish period was thickly populated trees. There were many wild animals like deer, wild pigs, and other beast tribing around. Very few huts were situated in Olag but they have a close family ties. Their huts were made of anahaw leaves, abacca pulps and bamboo. The inhabitants planted palay, abacca, coconuts and root crops. Their recreational activities were hunting wild animals and cockfighting, they were fanatic, and they believed more in superstitious.
When Spaniards came in 1896, Olag was still barangay headed by a chief Galicano Garinga. The barrio faith believed more in “Anitos”. The Spaniards taught the people about religion and during that time the patron saint was already St. Micheal de Arcanghel. After the Spanish occupation the American came. They taught the people on some improvements regarding their daily leaving.
It was December 12, 1941 when the World War II broke out. The inhabitants of the barrio did not move in any people. Olag became a hiding place of the guerillas, but it was the time when Japanese started to raid the place the people cannot plant anymore because they were afraid with the enemies and the Japanese were to feed the people. So because of this many families suffered much hungry. By that time the people evacuated.
Several years later the American came again in the Philippines. The Americans started to liberate the people from the cruelty of the Japanese in 1945, the liberating force of the Americans landed in Tinambac. The Japanese soldier surrendered to the Americans and they were sent home.
By that time the inhabitants of Olag returned to their home and began to live peacefully. In 1945 the school were re-opened. And the people started to improved.
With the help of the people they improved the community barrio fiesta was celebrated and updated. In 1963 Mrs. Maria Lagarde was elected as barrio teniente. It was during that time that a teacher was added and one of them was Miss Bien A. Abalayan presently she’s Mrs. Bien Abordo. People in the barrio were beginning to improve their daily livings; they became more civic minded people. They were engaged in different recreational activities.
In 1967 the Teniente del barrio was changed to barrio captain. Mr. Cezar meno with his six councilor have made many improvements in the barrio. Like councilor Feleno Abordo his active councilor solicited from the PACD for the barrio projects. They were above to solicit G.I. sheet for the barrio chapel.
I was followed by Mr. Necomedes Barnedo as barrio captain it was during this time when national fund our aid from the President was given to the barrio. Barrio Olag received the aid of P2,000.00 pesos. Through this aid several projects were put in the barrio such as;
a. Barrio Hall
b. Barrio Social Hall
These projects were concrete. It was his term when people meet problems and lost interest in helping the barrio officials because of some of the barrio aid were not disbursed by the barrio captain.
Presently Barangay Olag, with the initiative of the newly set up barangay kagawad such as
1. Kgd. Nestor Ablay
2. Kgd. Justina Vergara
3. Kgd. Danilo San Andres
4. Kgd. Cezar Meno
5. Kgd. Jose Santayana
6. Kgd. Julio Lagarde
Thru this six Kgd. Nalnez were recognized and mobilized the routine of the activity of the barangay. There were six zone organized in which the inhabitant were divided into zones for beautification.